Monday, May 23, 2011

Tom Voice Pattison retiring from Warhawk radio broadcasts

If you haven’t heard, I have made the decision to retire following being a “radio voice” of UW-Whitewater sports on KOOL 106.5 and 940-WFAW.

The time is right. I will turn 60 years old on November 8th and it is time to turn over my microphone to younger and more talented broadcasters.

I’ve been broadcasting sports on the radio for the past 34 years.

It wasn’t until I was considering retirement that I realized just how many games I have been part of - I have averaged 50 games a year since I began back in 1974 – that means I have been part of 1,700 game broadcasts!

I also spent six years driving to and from Lambeau Field in Green Bay as producer and “voice” of Goetz Broadcasting’s Titletown Report.

I would like to say huge “thank you” to Jim Vriezen, Shane Sparks and Gary Douglas, and before that to Scott Trentadue and Jim Klug and the late Bob Bass at KOOL 106.5 and 940 WFAW for allowing me the opportunity to do what I love for the past 23 years – to be a sportscaster here in southern Wisconsin.

I also want to thank Daily Jefferson County Union sports editor Jeff Seisser for his assistance on getting the UWW story out to the readers and listeners over the years.

While stepping away from “calling games,” I am still going to be extremely involved in “covering” UW-Whitewater athletics.

I will continue my two Websites – Warhawkfootball.com and Voiceseyeonbaseball.blogspot.com.

I also have a season-long project that I intend to focus on during the Warhawk football team’s 2011 season.

Since arriving in Fort Atkinson & Whitewater on July 11, 2008 I have made it my No. 1 goal of being able to put a “face” on the UW-Whitewater athletes who are among the very best in the country.

Division III athletes are no different than the Division I athletes at the University of Wisconsin.

When Whitewater athletes are featured in the newspaper, on the radio, and on TV sports fans in Wisconsin take notice.

Ask ESPN about UW-Whitewater having a high “Q” rating after televising the last six Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowls (NCAA Division III National Championship Football Games).

I have been a sports broadcaster for nearly two-thirds of my life and I’m going to miss being behind the microphone on “game-day” - but as long as the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater will let me continue to post stories on my Websites I will be a very happy camper.

GO WARHAWKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment