Thursday, May 26, 2011

Vodenlich's coaching staff has done an "awesome job"

(Editor's Note: The following story witten by Josh Smith on the Warhawk baseball team's coaching staff was published Thursday, May 26 by the Daily Jefferson County Union.)

As a back-up catcher on the 1989 UW-W World Series team, Vodenlich has been a part of every team that has qualified for the Division III national tournament. However, he explained his role on the 1989 team was a minor one.

"I played a back-up role. I was a back-up catcher and I carried the starting catcher's equipment. I got in only to give him a rest," he said. "I was very proud to be a part of that team, but by no means was I a big part of that success. I had a very behind-the-scenes kind of role."

Vodenlich then coached Whitewater to World Series appearances in 2004, 2005, 2008 and now in 2011.

The Whitewater head coach, who has a career record of 289-93-1, credits a lot of his success to his assistant coaches, who also have had success as UW-W players.

"Look at my current staff. You look at coach (Armando) Hernandez, who was a standout Warhawk. You look at coach (Justin) Stewart, who captained the teams that had more championships than ever," Vodenlich said, noting Stewart played in 2004 and 2005 before working as a coach for the 2008 squad. "You look at coach (Ben) Prather, who was on the 2008 team. You look at coach (Ryan) Callahan, who was the captain on the 2004 team.

(In the adjacent photo is a look at the Warhawk baseball coaching staff with the exception of Ben Prather who was not available at the time of the photo - Tom Pattison Photo)

"Success breeds success. When you have people that lead that have been there and know what it takes. That matters."

Vodenlich said while he has been a part of five World Series team, his staff has a lot of experience themselves.

"I'm not alone by any means in that type of circumstance," he said. "I'm very pleased to say I have an awesome staff that has been there as a Warhawk in many ways."

The coaching staff has earned the current players' success.

"(Dave Perchinsky) is always a motivator. He's always getting on you about doing things right," Coe said. "Prather's always helping with hitting with Vo, and Armando is always doing the ground balls. It's a great coaching staff."

"Coach Vo is a winner. That's what he does. He knows how to win," Donovan said. "He knows what it takes, and his resumé shows that."

"Vo shaped me into the catcher that I am today," Coe said. "He called games with me my first year, but I learned from him, and now I haven't had to look in for a pitch the last two years."

Even players like Young, who have been with the team for a short time have high praise for the coaches.

"They can finely tune athletes here with great facilities and a great staff," Young said. "I'm really happy and lucky that I came here."

CLICK HERE to read Josh Smith's entire Daily Union article

No comments:

Post a Comment